16.5.11

i love it when a plan comes together!

I truly love it when this:

rough sketch for the alphabet quilt

becomes this:

alphabet baby quilt

Have you ever improvised letters before? Try it. You will love it! It is such a fun project! Once again with this quilt as with my last, I enjoyed the process of creating it every step of the way, from picking out the fabrics and planning to constructing each letter to quilting the circles, as much as I am pleased with the finished object. Every night, I would work on a few letters. It was such a great way to end each day with an hour or so of sewing on a project that really engaged me.

alphabet baby quilt - close up

This quilt was extra special for me because it was intended for a very good friend and her baby boy. This friend is a gem. She has always been kind and extremely generous to me (and to my kiddo). I wanted to make something unique and fun, something kinda playful but structured and modern. I think this fits that bill. I hope she loves it. I can't wait to meet her little one!

So the details: measuring 40 1/2 x 50 1/2 inches, my own design (improv letters), using a bunch of Kona cottons (Kona Coal for the background) and Michael Miller Ta-Dot! prints (with some scraps of Kei Honeycomb and Denyse Schmidt FMF here and there), backed with a Cloud 9 organic flannel bunny print (which I forgot to photograph - DOH!). It's a good size for a snuggly crib quilt that a little one will love come winter. And for now, it can be used as a visually-stimulating tummy-time playmat.

14 comments:

caro said...

It's so fabulous. I'm glad I got to see it in person!

Bertha said...

It is seriously so fantastic! Also, what is better for planning projects than Claire Fontaine notebooks?!

grumperina said...

It's so wonderful, and you are so kind :) I'll grab a photo of the backing because it's fabulous and super cute. I know this will be much loved by the little one!

Greeley said...

It is spectacular and so are you. I love the alphabet and the circle quilting. The bunnies are so soft and snuggly.

hannah said...

so spectacular - from the letters to the quilting, it seems that this prject just came together perfectly!

Sarah A. said...

Such a fantastic baby quilt. Those letters are awe inspiring.

RosaMarĂ­a said...

such fabulous quilt!! love the all the colors there!

Sally Anderson said...

Awesome quilt! Love the idea and the contemporary styling. Kudos! Lucky Kathy!

Bonnie said...

That is beautiful!

Tracey said...

absolutely gorgeous! what a wonderful gift.

jen (melty) said...

I came over from Kathy's site and I LOVE this quilt! great colors and I love the quilting as well as the letters. This one's going in my inspiration pile :)

jess said...

holy MOLY maritza!! this is incredible! what a gift (yours and it) :-)

abbenormal said...

Gorgeous! What a lucky kid.

Kristin said...

This is amazing! :) love it.