14.1.10

more beginnings

I'm doing it. I am starting that blanket. You know, the one I have been gushing about here, there, and everywhere. I know I said I would begin once I finished my other crochet project, one I have set down for far too long, but you know what? I tried. I honestly gave it a good go. I brought it with me to Stacie's one afternoon, and all I could muster was joining one of the squares to the rest of the scarf. I just couldn't sink my teeth into it. I'll pick it up another day. I promise. For now, I'm going to focus on this blanket. Besides, I've got a little bit of a time-restriction/ deadline with this one whereas the scarf is for me so there's no rush. I'll get it done when I get it done.

It feels great to crochet again. I totally forgot how fast it goes and how wonderfully squishy and dense the resulting fabric is. And playing with all these colors feels like coloring with a brand new pack of Crayola - the possibilities are ripe and ready. For a while, I was considering joining the Giant Granny crochet-along on ravelry. I was seriously tempted since it looks like so much fun and people are whipping out some beauties. I've been meaning to make this blanket for a long time, though. Now's as good a time as any to finally do it.

The tutorial I am using for this blanket is this one here. There's another excellent tutorial over here which is pretty much the same thing. Six of one; half a dozen of the other, really. I think one uses a couple of extra stitches at the corners of the squares, and one has you chain 4 for the center ring as opposed to the the 5 stitches the other recommends. Really, you cannot go wrong with either tutorial. The only change I made was that I used a magic ring instead of the chain for the center ring because I prefer a tighter crochetnus. That's just me. Heh. Also, I charted it out. I work better with charts than with written instructions. I'd be happy to share the chart with you all once I spiff it up a bit. Right now, it's a mess of scrawled symbols but still perfectly intelligible to me.

I've only got 18 circles done so far, but the night is young, my friends....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, this blanket is going to be so amazing! I can't wait to see more of it. I, too, was going to join in on the giant granny business, but then got excited about making smaller squares and went my own way.

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Your eye for color is unreal--these are amazing, Maritza.

grumperina said...

Chrochetnus... HA! I also prefer to loop the stitches through instead of making a chain, whatever that technique is called.