15.3.09

catching up

I hate staying away from the blog like I hate not talking to good friends for too long. When you come back to each other after losing touch somewhere along the way and they ask, "So what's up? What have you been up to?" no matter how busy you have been or where you've been and what you've done and seen and heard, the answer is almost always, "Eh, nothing much, man...." because how do you condense weeks of activity and thoughts and whatnot into 140 characters or less? You can say, "I've been busy," which hello! Aren't we all? You can try to summarize without sounding too dry - "I'm learning to use Illustrator. I had to take one of the cats in to the vet a few times. Yeah, they're doing alright. I'm working on that sooper-sekrit project still and it's going better than I thought it would. I'm planning a trip to Chicago in June and a trip to New Orleans next month. Blah blah blah." It sounds as if you're reading from a bulleted list. All that stuff in between has been boiled down to a flat answer, and your friend walks away thinking that you are the most boring person in the world. And maybe I am totally boring. It doesn't feel that way when I am working on something or laughing with friends over coffee or beers or hanging out with Matt and his friends. Putting it down on paper is another story, though, especially when we lack the dramatic characters and insane "I can't believe this is happening" situations that we constantly found ourselves in when living in as colorful as place as LIC. No oddball neighbors making bizarre requests from us, no hilarious yet creepy subway stories, no upsetting but zany stories from work. My life in Cambridge is pretty sanitized compared to the life I once knew. I like that and loathe it simultaneously.

But good stuff does happen. I think I may have forgotten how to properly transcribe it, however. Like going to NETA's SPA weekend a couple of weeks ago. I could tell you the million and one stories shared and jokes told, but I don't even know where to begin. Instead, I will just summarize it and say that it was an AWESOME time and that I got to spend time with some fantastic ladies who made me weep with laughter. And that I wish The Purl Diva was my local yarn shop because a) she has a fabulous selection of yarn and b) I love her dog Loki. And that lately, my respect for Jess as a person and a businesswoman knows no bounds. Every day, I admire her even more. At this point my respect and admiration for her is off the charts. She is beyond awesome.

What's been going on knit-wise? Well, there's been some of this:


And a little of that:
More knitting and crochet soon, folks. Very soon. Because I have something up my sleeve, and believe me, it's gonna be good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't think you are boring! :) I'm glad you're back. Been wondering where you were. Don't stay away too long!