20.10.10

duck duck goose

ducky for the wee one

Well, would you look at that! It's that duck that every craft blogger was making like 4 or 5 years ago! We're calling it a gosling after coming across this book at the bookstore yesterday, which naturally, I had to get for the wee one. But still, this is the duck... you know the one... from that awesome nuigurumi book now out of print (but I think you can find the pattern in this book, too, if I recall correctly). It was the first gusseted toy I made, I believe, years ago when I first started sewing. For a while, it was my go-to toy to make for people's babies. In this instance, it is the first toy that I have made for my wee one. Shocking that it's taken me this long to get around to that. Even then, I sewed up the parts in a matter of minutes and left them waiting on my work table for over a week to be stuffed and pieced together. Gah. 

squooshing the ducky

I had all these grand plans for making the wee one a bunch of toys. Originally, I had hoped to crochet an amigurumi rattle for him during the ravelympics. (Yes, that's how long ago I've been meaning to get around to this.) I signed on for the Knit Toys team and picked out my pattern. I was psyched and set to go. Then, like those unfortunate skiers that fall about ten feet after the starting line and slide the whole way down on their butts, the sting of defeat punctuated by an icy cold douche, I stumbled as soon as I started and knew I wouldn't be able to finish in time. Other projects quickly piled up like a mini-avalanche, and before I knew it, I was out for sure. Besides, crocheting worsted weight yarn on a small hook to create a dense fabric always gives me claw-hand, and I am not so keen on that. 

i'm eating your feet!

I decided it would be easier to sew a toy instead. I had a few ideas - a baby-friendly bat, a bunny rattle, a mini-critter to match one of the quilts I made for him. Meh. I wasn't able to get around to any of it. I am hoping to make up for that now, though, with whatever bits of time I can eke out here and there. Based on his response to this toy, I think it will be well worth it. 

i'm eating your feet!

2 comments:

maitai said...

nom nom nom. it's clear he likes it! super cute ducky.

Anonymous said...

Such a cute duckie (and baby!).