2.4.09

well d'oh!

Waving Lace Socks - done!

pattern: Waving Lace Socks from Favorite Socks
designer: Evelyn A. Clark
yarn: Koigu KPM in1165 25 (+ 1 skein from a different dye lot)
needles: Addi Turbos US size#1

You know what's ridiculous? That I knit the first sock of this pair in two days almost a year ago and then didn't bother to start a mate for it until a couple of weeks ago. The pattern is super-easy, and it flies off of the needles. And I love the way it looks. It is so very pretty and has nice long cuffs, which I adore. I know I will wear the hell out of these socks. So why then did it take me so long to come back to this project?

That lack of interest in knitting a second sock might have had a little something to do with the fact that I didn't have enough yarn and couldn't find any more from the same dye lot. When I had to knit the toe for the first sock using my second skein, I knew I was short. I had bought this Koigu at Loop in Philly so naturally I tried to get another skein from their website when I realized that I wouldn't have enough yarn, but they were all sold out of it. I tried looking on Ravelry, but to be honest with you I felt like an ass contacting a total stranger and saying to them, "Hi! I was a buttmunch and didn't purchase enough yarn for this project so can you sell me yours? Kthxbai!" I really would have felt embarrassed doing that, which I know is silly. I found a skein in a the same colorway but a different dye lot on Personal Threads and just went for it because I figured it would be a close enough match. And it is a close match even if it is not quite the same. There is a subtle difference, but I think I can get away with it here. Can you tell that the toe on my right foot was knit using the odd skein? It's a little lighter and pinker than the left.

At least it was right at the toe, so it's not such a big deal that it's different. It almost bothers me more that I knit the second sock at a slightly looser gauge so it's just a tiny bit larger than the first one. Now that I am going to have to turn a blind eye to since I have frogged socks for that before. After taking so long to get around to finishing this (and having a few other projects that I reallyreallyreally want to move on to), I have no intention of frogging this and knitting it over. I'm just going to say, "It's all good!" and call it done.

8 comments:

grumperina said...

Nope, can't tell the difference in color at all! As for the slightly different sizes, I have never in my life knit two socks which were identical! My grandma, a very wise woman indeed, says that obviously I'm just being a good granddaughter, and knitting her a smaller one for her less swollen foot, and a bigger one for her more swollen foot! Hahaha!

Sarah A. said...

I can't see the difference in colours. The only time I've made socks that were the same size was when they were both knit at the same time using magic loop. But remember that no one's feet are exactly the same size either. One's always slightly larger than the other one.

Melissa said...

Ooh, those are beautiful!

Amy said...

I don't see the difference, either. I wondered what these were when I saw them on Monday. Other than GORGEOUS, that is! :)

knithound brooklyn said...

I see no color difference either. knitting the exact same size is impossible for me, too.

equisetaceae said...

i had almost the exact same problem with a beautiful pair of beaudelaires in fleece artist. I did the first one when I first started knitting, thought it was crazy complicated and put it aside. When I came back to it more than a year later and knit the second one- it was HUGE! obviously my knitting has gotten looser with time! I decided to frog both of them and restart. Totally worth it with lovely yarn!

equisetaceae said...

ps. the colour is totally not noticeable and your socks are super pretty!

tiennie said...

I think they are beautiful and can't even tell the difference in dye lots!